Thursday, September 29, 2022
- Texas governor Elisha Pease resigned in protest of the actions taken by the Reconstruction authorities.
- The State of Texas granted a charter to the American Rio Grande Land and Irrigation Company.
- Texas Technological College opened in Lubbock. The school later became known as Texas Tech University.
- In Waco, Baylor Stadium (later known as Floyd Casey Stadium) opened as the home of the Baylor Bears.
- The Guadalupe Mountains National Park was established.
- Near Austin, Bergstrom Field was closed. In 1999, Austin-Bergstrom International Airport opened at the site.
- Mike Witt (California Angels) became only the 11th pitcher to throw a perfect game in major league baseball. He defeated the Texas Rangers 1-0.
|The 'Texas Trail' was the highway over which a tide of cattle was moved from Southwestern and Western Texas to the northwestern states, including Indian Territory, Kansas, Western Nebraska, Colorado, Wyoming Territory, North and South Dakota and Montana." |
- U.S. Senator John B. Kendrick on December 10, 1916
Like this topic here!
(Click here for today in Texas History.)