Thursday, September 29, 2022
World War II History
- The Munich Conference ended with a decision to appease Adolf Hitler. Britain and France allowed Czechoslovakia's Sudetenland to be annexed by the Nazis.
- An international military tribunal in Nuremberg, Germany, found 22 top Nazi leaders guilty of war crimes.
- The Berlin Airlift came to an end after 277,264 flights. The airlift had taken 2.3 million tons of food into the western sector despite the Soviet blockade.
- Albert Speer and Baldur von Schirach were released at midnight from Spandau prison after completing their 20-year sentences. Speer was the Nazi minister of armaments and von Schirach was the founder of Hitler Youth.
- France's Roman Catholic Church apologized for its silence during the persecution and deportation of Jews the pro-Nazi Vichy regime.
World War II Quotes
|"The defeat of the enemy in the Battle of El Alamein, the pursuit of his beaten army and the final capture of Tripoli...has all been accomplished in three months. This is probably without parallel in history."|
Lieutenant-General Bernard Montgomery - January 23, 1943
Like this topic here!
(Click here for today in World War II History.)