Today is Thursday, January 26, 2023
- Charles Jewtraw of the United States won the 500-meter speed skating. He was the first Gold Medalist at the Winter Olympics.
- Wayne Gretzky (Edmonton Oilers) became the first NHL player to score 50 goals in 49 games.
- Steffi Graf won her 48th consecutive match.
- ZZ Top, James Brown and the Blues Brothers performed at the Super Bowl XXXI halftime show. The Green Bay Packers won 35-21 over the New England Patriots. It was the third Super Bowl win for the Packers.
- Jennifer Capriati won Australian Open Tennis Championships in Melbourne.
- The Tampa Bay Buccaneers defeated the Oakland Raiders 48-21 in Super Bowl XXXVII. Tampa Bay coach Jon Gruden became the youngest coach to ever win a Super Bowl. It was the first Super Bowl appearance for the Buccaneers.
- In Berlin, Lindsay Benko broke the 400 freestyle world record. She became the first to go under the four-minute mark (3 minutes, 59.53 seconds).
- In Berlin, Thomas Rupprath set a new world record in the men's 100 medley. He came in at 52.58.
|It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future. |
- Yogi Berra