Today is Wednesday, June 7, 2023
- John Joseph Doyle became the first pinch-hitter in baseball when he was used in a game.
- Jeff Norman set a world record when he ran the 50k in 2.28.06.
- Steve Garvey became the fifth player in major league baseball history to play in 1,000 consecutive games.<!st>
- Steve Carlton temporarily passed Nolan Ryan in career strikeouts when he registered his 3,522nd.<!st>
- The Toronto Skydome hosted the first game to be played indoors and outdoors in the same day. The roof was closed when the weather became threatening.<!st>
- The Detroit Red Wings won their first NHL championship in 42 years. They swept the series with the Philadelphia Flyers.
- The Baltimore Orioles retired Eddie Murray's #33.<!st>
- <!a>Roger Federer became the sixth man in history to win a career Grand Slam when he won the French Open. He also tied Pete Sampras' record of 14 major singles titles.
|<!yogiberra>The future ain't what it used to be. |
- Yogi Berra
<!end of history and quote section>