Today is Thursday, January 26, 2023
- Gary Busey was released from jail after being arrested the night before for investigation of misdemeanor spousal abuse. Tiana Busey had no visible injuries.
- The first trial at the International Criminal Court was held. Former Union of Congolese Patriots leader Thomas Lubanga was accused of training child soldiers to kill, pillage, and rape.
- In Hermsdorf, Czechoslovakia, a JAT Yugoslav Airlines flight crashed after the detonation of a bomb in the forward cargo hold killing 27 people. The bomb was believed to have been placed on the plane by a Croatian extremist group. Vesna Vulovic, a stewardess, survived after falling 33,000 feet in the tail section. She broke both legs and became paralyzed from the waist down.
- In Izmir, Turkey, 66 people were killed when a THY Turkish Airlines flight crashed. Seven people survived the crash.
- In Bhuj, India, a magnitude 7.7 earthquake killed more than 20,000 people.
- Near Ciudad Boliva, Venezuela, twenty four people were killed when a 50-year-old DC-3 crashed.
Tomorrow in Crime History.
Tomorrow in Disaster History.