Today is Friday, August 12, 2022
- Charlie Wilson escaped from Winson Green Prison in Birmingham England. He had been part of the gang involved in the 1963 Great Train Robbery. Wilson stayed at large until 1968.
- In Taipei, Taiwan, a China Airlines flight crashed on approach during a storm. 14 of the 31 people onboard were killed.
- In Dehli, India, 18 people were killed when an Indian Airlines flight crashed while on its second approach.
- In Cali, Colombia, 27 people were killed when an Avianca flight crashed when the crew became lost in rainy weather and crashed into Trujillo Mountain.
- In Japan, 520 people died when a Japan Air Lines Boeing 747 crashed into a mountain. Four people survived the crash. At the time, it was the highest death toll in a single-plane crash in aviation history.
- U.S. President Clinton signed a relief package for the flooded areas of the Midwest United States.
- In the Barents Sea, 118 people died when the Russian nuclear submarine Kursk
sank after an explosion.
- Joseph P. Kennedy Jr. was killed with his co-pilot when their Navy plane exploded over England. Joseph Kennedy was the oldest son of Joseph and Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy.
- The first U.S.
casualty occurred during the Persian Gulf crisis when Air Force Staff Sergeant John Campisi died after being hit by a military truck.
Tomorrow in Crime History.
Tomorrow in Disaster History.