Today is Thursday, June 1, 2023
- The Roman Emperor, Marcus Didius, was murdered in his palace.
- Scott Weiland (Stone Temple Pilots
) was arrested for drug possession in New York.
- In Georgia, 98 people died when a tornado hit.<!inf>
- In Liverpool Bay, England, 99 people died when the submarine Thetis
- Near Fukuoka, Japan, 236 people were killed in a coal mine explosion.<!inf>
- In Tripoli, Libya, a Ceskoslovenske Aerolinie flight crashed after two failed landing attempts. All 13 people onboard were killed.
- In Say Luis, Brazil, 23 people were killed when a Cruzeiro do Sul flight crashed during landing.
- In Nacias Nguema, Equatorial Guinea, 46 people were killed when an Aeroflot flight crashed in mountainous terrain.
- U.S. President Reagan ordered naval maneuvers in the Mediterranean off the coast of Libya in response to statements by Libyan Leader Colonel Mu'ammar al-Qadhafi regarding Libyan territorial waters.<!reagan ows>
- In Little Rock, AR, eleven people were killed and 80 were injured when a passenger jet ran off the runway and crashed after landing.<!y2000>
- Air France Flight 447 crashed about 400 miles northeast of the Fernando de Noronha islands off Brazil's northern coast. All 228 people on board were killed.<!fox>
- Helen Keller died. She had been deaf and blind since the age of 18 months. During her life she learned to speak, ride horses, and to do the waltz. She also graduated from Radcliffe cum laude.
- David Ruffin (Temptation) died in Philadelphia of a cocaine overdose.
<!in article add>
Tomorrow in Crime History.
Tomorrow in Disaster History.
<!end of history and quote section>