Today is Thursday, September 29, 2022
- Nicholas Daniloff was released by the Soviet Union. He had been held on spying charges.
- Three U.S.
servicemen were indicted on rape charges concerning a 12-year-old Okinawan girl. The men were handed over to Japanese authorities.
- Off the coast of Scotland, 348 people died when the Annie Jane
- In St. Louis, MO, a five-minute tornado killed 79 people.
- Near Montgomery, West Pakistan, about 300 people died when an express train crashed into a sitting oil train.
- In Orissa, India, a cyclone and tidal wave off the Bay of Bengal killed about 10,000 people.
- In the Chicago area, seven people died after taking Extra-Strength Tylenol capsules that had been laced with cyanide. About 31 million bottles of Tylenol were eventually taken off the market. (September 29-October 1)
- In Brazil, a Brazilian jetliner clipped a smaller executive jet and then crashed into the Amazon rain forest. All 155 people aboard were killed. The smaller jet was able to land at a local air force base.
- An 8.3-magnitude earthquake triggered a tsunami near the Samoan Islands. Many communities and harbors in Samoa and American Samoa were destroyed. At least 189 people were killed.
- Pope John Paul I was found dead after only one month of serving as pontiff of the Roman Catholic Church.
Tomorrow in Crime History.
Tomorrow in Disaster History.