Today is Saturday, December 3, 2022
- Ray Charles was convicted of possession of heroin and marijuana. He was given a five-year suspended sentence and fined $10,000.
- Seven gunman fired shots into Bob Marley
's home in Kingston, Jamaica where he and the Wailers were rehearsing. No one was seriously hurt.
- U.S. Representatives Frank Thompson, Jr. (D-NJ) and John Murphy (D-NY) were convicted on Abscam charges.
- In South Africa, 11 black funeral mourners were slain in Natal Province in an attack blamed on security forces.
- After nearly five years, Shiite Muslim radicals in Lebanon released American hostage Allen Sutten.
- Jay-Z was arrested in connection with the stabbing of music executive Lance Rivera. The rapper was charged with first-degree assault.
- In Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Canary Islands, 155 people were killed when a Spantax flight crashed.
- At Cincinnati's Riverfront Coliseum eleven Who fans were trampled to death in the rush to gain admittance for general (unreserved) seats to the band's concert.
- In Bhopal, India, more than 2,000 people died and about 150,000 were injured when toxic gas (methyl isocyanate) escaped from a Union Carbide insecticide plant.
- In Worcester, Massachusettes, six firefighters were killed while fighting a fire at a warehouse. The fire had been accidentally set by a homeless couple.
- A collision, on the ground, of a Northwest Airlines DC-9 and a Northwest Boeing 727 at Detroit Metropolitan Airport, resulted in a fire that claimed eight lives.
- In Manilla, 28 people were killed in an orphanage that caught fire. Most of the victims were children.
Tomorrow in Crime History.
Tomorrow in Disaster History.